Thursday, April 17, 2014

Maundy Thursday

From the Byzantine Catholic Church in America:

Great and Holy Thursday

April 17, 2014
Detail of the Mystical SupperMatthew 26:26-29 - Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." (RSV)
The Hour Has Come - At every celebration of the Eucharist we participate in the events of Holy Thursday – the Mystical Supper and all that followed: the agony in the Garden at Gethsemane, the betrayal by Judas, the arrest, Jesus before Caiaphas, and Peter’s denial. Jesus does not flee from what is to come and what must come. "Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour” (John 12:27). The agony in the Garden anticipates the agony on the Cross by which the world is saved. Whenever and wherever the Mystery of the Eucharist is celebrated we are present with Christ at that place and at that time.
Today we also continue the readings from Exodus (the Passion, Death and Resurrection of our Lord prefigured in the journey of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt into the Promised Land) and Job (his tenacious faith in God).
Scripture
  • Matins - Luke 22:1-39
  • Hours - Jeremiah 11:18-12:5,9-11,14-15
  • Vespers and Divine Liturgy of St. Basil the Great - Exodus 19:10-19, Job 38:1-21; 42:1-5; Isaiah 50:4-11, Matthew 26:2-20, John 13:3-17, Matthew 26:21-39, Luke 22:43-45; Matthew 26:40-27:1 (Composite)
The icon is a detail of the Mystical Supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment