Friday, May 1, 2015

Halfway to Halloween

I nearly forgot. It's time for my annual 'Halfway to Halloween' blog post. This Halloween, Baby Holidays will have just turned 1 and will be toddling all around in his first costume. I'm guessing Preschool Holidays may even want to take him on his first trick or treat outing down the street as well. 

I must confess that I haven't devoted a whole lot of time to pondering this year's theme, but one idea does keep popping in my head:  corn stalks. I've never used them before in any of our displays, and I also think it's time to take a break from the 'Spirit Grove'/'Sacred Grove' theme.

So, as of right now, I'm tentatively considering a haunted farm theme. Corn stalks are relatively cheap, and I could purchase a good number of them to line our walkway and the front porch. I could also cover the walkway and front porch with straw. For lighting, I could use lanterns, twinkle lights, or a combination of both. Ideally, it would be a lot of fun to have a few replica chicken skeletons set up on 'the farm', but these can be a bit expensive, so I'll have to think about it. And who knows, I might even have to carve a few jack o lanterns this year, even though this has always been my least favorite part of Halloween. Any other ideas are welcome in the comments section.

Halloween is on a Saturday this year, and based on historical precedent, our city will likely host 'trick or treat' on the preceding Thursday. But, with our older child starting up at a couple of different preschools this Fall, I may end up inviting all of his classmates to come out on the official Halloween night. So, we could end up having two 'Trick or Treat' nights.

And of course, 93 year old Grandmother Holidays will be expected to make an appearance and be part of the fun.

I'll revisit this year's theme in 3 months, when the first Halloween decorations start hitting the stores. Yes, only 3 more months believe it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment